A RFI (also known as a request for an interpretation) is a question submitted to API on the meaning of a requirement in a standard or Recommended Practice. Format for Interpretation:
- The request shall involve a single subject or closely related subjects.
- The request shall be stated in a condensed and precise question format.
- The request shall be composed so that "yes" or "no" (perhaps with provisos) would be a suitable reply.
- The request statement should be technically and editorially correct.
- The requestor shall state what they believe the standard requires. If in the requestor's opinion a revision to the standard is needed, they shall provide recommended wording for consideration by the responsible committee.
Note: Committee Responses to requests for interpretation can take up to 12 months.
All fields marked with * must be completed.